So here is the story of Liam.
I have very big babies so my Dr. agreed to induce me a week early. That would have been Monday November 24th. That morning we had aranged child care for the other 3 boys and a very dear friend was going to come to our house at 5:30 in the morning and stay until the boys woke up and then take them to her house. As Aaron and I were getting ready to go the phone rang and it was the hospital. They said that there was no room for me a the moment and they would call later that day if a bed opened. So we called our friend and canceled and waited. Monday was the longest day ever. And at 6:00 that night we called the hospital for the last time and they said they would put me first on the list for Tuesday. So we again had to arrange child care with a different set of friends. (Have I mentioned that I feel so blessed to be here where my friends take such great care of me? We would have been in huge trouble if not for a handful of wonderful friends. ) So Tuesday morning came and all morning I was afraid the hospital would call and say not to come but they didn't. We arrive at the hospital at 6:00 am and the nurses got us settled into our room and start me on pitocin. Just like the one before him Liam was in no hurry to get here, I don't think he was happy that we were evicting him. And we didn't have a name set yet. So it took all day for my body to decide to go into labor. The hospital did have the wireless monitors which was a step up from last time I was there. It comes to a point where if they attach one more wire or tube to you it is just too much. So around 7:00 or 8:00 that evening I start to feel the contractions really good. I got my first interthecal (sp?)at 9:00pm and it took the edge off for a couple hours and let me rest. I made a little progress after the Dr. broke my water and then got another interthecal at 11:00. I was able to rest some more and to help move things along they had me stand up for a while. As we waited for the anesthesiologist to come ( he was helping someone else at the time) He gave me my last shot at 12:00 and I was able to sleep for an hour. When the pain woke me up again the nurse checked me and the baby was already at a +1 so it was time to start pushing. It took a while to wake up Aaron but when everything was set I started pushing. Aaron was able to dress in a gown and gloves and practically deliver the baby.

It was really neat. It took less than 20 minutes to actually deliver him at that point and then it was all worth it. He was born Wednesday morning at 1:08 am. He weighed 7 lb. and 15 oz. and was 21 inches long. He is long and skinny just like Jared was, with a lot of dark hair. The boys came to visit later that day and they were all very happy to see him.
On Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) we were invited to a friend's house for dinner so I wanted to go. I could have stayed in the hospital another day but I really did not want to spend the holiday in the hospital. So when we finally decided on Liam for a name we went home. We never had such a hard time choosing a name, but I think we got it right. I really wanted to have his middle name Lawrence, after my great grandfather Lester Lawrence Sibley. And Aaron really liked the name Liam. My Mom thinks it is funny but we actually called the family and asked them what they thought there was a poll taken at my Mom's house while the family was having Thanksgiving Dinner. It was between Emmit and Liam. There was a lot of very good feedback and we decided that we would go with Liam.
So after a name was settled upon and we had dinner at the Patterson's house we are loading into the car for the first time with all 4 boys. Liam is a little upset and crying a little. We set his seat into the car next to Shane and tell Shane that he is lucky because he gets to sit next to the new baby. Shane didn't think it was such an honor because he tells me 'Mom, please put baby back into your tummy.' I just laughed.
Now we are home and adjusting to things here. Aaron has been playing Mr. Mom while I recover and it has been quite a long recovery. I like to think I am super woman and I push myself too much some days and pay for it the next. I am learning, I think. :o) Aaron has been great. Although he does get overwhelmed every now and then. That is to be expected being both a Mom and a Dad is a difficult task.
These are pictures taken of Liam at one week old.







4 comments:
Congrats Picker Family! Can't wait to meet little Liam when we're in town for Christmas! He's adorable!
What a day..or two. :) Congratulations. Liam is adorable and is so blessed to have been sent to such a good family.
Cute, cute, cute ... thanks for sharing your story! I love baby stories!
Hey Christy,
Liam is beautiful! We're very excited and proud of you. Tell the boys congrats on being big brothers again!
We love you, Lisa
Post a Comment