Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lesson One

I finally got my first lesson from NYIP, I am super excited to be able to learn more about something I have grown to love in the past few years. They say the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else so I figured that I would post my view on the lessons on my blog. 

So the first lesson is the Eye of the Photographer. 
Basically it comes down to 3 questions you should ask yourself when you take a picture. 
1. Does my photo have a clear subject and theme? 
What is the universal message of the photo? 
2. How do I focus attention on my subject?
3. How can I simplify my photo to eliminate distractions and draw attention to the subject? 

In this photo the subject is Jared, the theme may be growing up. I focused on the subject by using a small aperture and blurring the background. I could simplify the photo by removing the branch sticking out of Jared's elbow. 





In this photo the subject is Shane and the dog in the wagon. The theme could be childhood. I focused on the subject by keeping them focused and blurring the background. And kept it simple by making the subject large in the frame. 





In this photo the subject is Dallin, the theme might be childhood. Keeping Dallin large in the frame makes him a subject. To simplify the picture I could have kept the shadows off his face. I did keep the background blurred however. 






So what do you think? 


1 comment:

Lance and Kim said...

I give you an A++, but then you already new that!